Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cotton Wood Trees Again




             Techno Thrills
                             

Three Things


Now entering week, what?—38?, of having to work with a 1893 HP computer running Windows XP and with 65 Giga storage.  It's been *cough* fun.  Who remembers Clear Mem? Or ipconfig /flushdns? Or Using CTRL-F5 to unclog the browser?  It's like being in high school again.  I had been use to using about 9-10 applications to publish this rag every day.  Now I don't even have room to install them, let alone memory and speed to run.  But here are the few that I missed so much that I made room for them.  They are life sustaining for me.


1. Irfan View The single best all-around (free) do-it all tool in the universe.  Here's an example.  I used to have several  thousand pictures that had accumulated over the past 19 years.  Finding one in particular is so daunting a task that it became almost impossible.  Irfan View search is so fast (and who knows how everything got indexed, because it like just is) that I can find a picture of Hillary Clinton posing with Chinese commies  in mere seconds.  You could  use Irfan View to edit, resize,  blah-blah blah.  The search utility will also find text likety-split. 

Kompozer - This program has been out of print for a few years, but I've yet to find an alternative that can do what it does, as easily as it does it.  For instance I can copy a web page, paste it on Kompozer, delete stuff I don't want , and then copy the source code for posting.  I am certain that other programs exist that are one-up, but none are better than the woman you know.

Paint Shop Pro - Because I've used it since PSP 1.  Even though I own Corel PSP X5, I use X3 because it does what I want . And isn't buggy.

That's it.  I only
need those three. Unless I want to get into the movie business again, and then it's ShowBiz, because I know it.

~
Aside- All this could have been resolved.  JW the computer geek set me up with a lovely Windows 7  installation package.  All I had to do was install it on my 3T disk.  But, oh no.  I decided I didn't like that disk for, various reasons, and prepared to send it back to Amazon while my 30 days was still  active.  Took it out, and then thought, what the hell?  I have all that Linux stuff that Jimmy from  Montana helped me with, and I wanted it erased.  So I put the drive back in andwhile most of you will never see thisif you fry your computer guts by being careless about static electricity, say,  the computer will start flashing an orange light.  That's what I got.  So I hauled it over to JW geek, and he will try to find out to what exactly was fried, and is it fixable.  That's what I get for trying to land between two cotton wood trees on an open prairie. Again.

1 comment:

LivingFossil said...

Cheez! Will the whining never stop? Are you channeling a 12 year old girl? Get over it. Man up.
Just kidding, I think.

Post a Comment

Just type your name and post as anonymous if you don't have a Blogger profile.